Thursday, September 17, 2009

2009-the year of the resume.

This blog will chronicle the daily amusements of my unemployed life.

It wasn't always this way though.

About a year ago when this whole economic crisis began I was the one laughing at my dining room table counting my blessings as I read the NYPost before beginning my day-long ritual of grading labs. Although I had taken a position as a leave replacement, I was warned it would either be 6 months to a year. I was banking on the year. This of course was not the case.

But I wasn't freaking out at that point. How thrilled I was when my "real responsibilties" consisted of showing up to work an hour and a half later then normal (because there was no need to haul ass to be the first person at school to make sure I was hard at work at 630am.) I have to say I actually enjoyed subbing. The fact that I could meet different students everyday enlighted me and I had resumed staying up past 830pm.

My game plan was to "take it easy" for a few months (while still actively participating in the job search) and be set for September. But living on an Island where there are only so many school districts and so many "openings," I struck out.

I have yet to start subbing, but until then I managed to snag a coaching job. That has kept me from feeling like the ultimate reject. I mean everyone knows when you tell them "I didn't get a teaching job they either think a) well they probably don't have what it takes or b) the give you that look of pity that says "I'm glad I'm not in your shoes."

Well here I am a year later, sitting at the same dining room table, having the last laugh afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment